Friday, September 14, 2007

Feeling Yucky

I'm home early today because Eli is feeling sick. I have more sick days to take, so I have stay at home duties this afternoon. I don't know if it's just me, but it's hard to see your child sick. You really wish you could do something to make it all better, but you know that you can't, and all you can do is try to ease the discomfort, and let them get better as quick as possible.
It brings back memories of being home sick when I was little. Mom or Dad was always there, but it was always Mom who had the comforting cool touch that just somehow made everything seem better. When Dad was home, he did a good job of making sure I had enough to eat and drink, but Mom was the one who seemed to make things better. No matter how bad I felt, Mom was the one who could make it feel better. Now that I'm older and have a son of my own, it's easy to flash back, and put myself in his shoes, at least a little bit. For some reason, it seems worse from this end! I think when you're young and sick, it's just the way it is, but when you're the adult, it's almost worse, because you want to help, but there isn't anything you can do.

3 comments:

Timashoe said...

So does Daddy have the comforting cool hands in your family, or does that title still go to Mommy? =D I'm sure Eli's glad to have either one of you around when he's sick.

Anonymous said...

Mommy will always have that job, I think, it seems to be in the genes. Even when we were growing up, Dad was the one who spoiled us, and bought us fruit pies when we were sick, but it was Mom who made us feel better, and had those cool comforting hands...

Jim Duncan said...

Dads look for the smiles that curve up with glee when their children find
cherry pies in answer to their pleas!
Moms gives them medicine with a loving assurance they'll get well and holds them with gentle hands while reading them a story for a spell!
Yep - and grown children remember well their tales of parental love
and will sound them like a Sunday church bell! Just me- with glee!